How to complain - Complaint or claim / online or post

The Tribunal deals with two types of application, which may be summarised as follows:

  • A claim under the Human Rights Act 1998 for any breach of human rights you believe has been committed against you (as set out in the Regulation Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (‘RIPA’) section 65(2)(a) and for which Form T1 is used). The bodies against which you can make a Human Rights Act claim are set out in RIPA section 65(6) and reproduced elsewhere in this website. They are all UK intelligence, military and law enforcement agencies.
  • A complaint against a public authority for use against you of covert techniques regulated by RIPA (as set out in RIPA section 65(2)(b) and for which Form T2 is used). This covers a wider range of public authorities including Government Departments, regulators and local authorities.

Despite the different statutory basis for a claim and a complaint, you should be aware that within a complaint you can make what amounts in substance to a Human Rights Act claim against a local authority or other public authority in respect of its use of covert techniques regulated by RIPA - e.g. to say that the authority acted in breach of its duty under section 6 of the Human Rights Act by violating Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights in the way it used those techniques - and the Tribunal can grant the appropriate relief such as awarding compensation or making a quashing an order.

How do I make a claim or complaint?

The links below enable you to access Human Rights claim (T1) and RIPA complaint (T2) Forms, along with information leaflets on how to complete them.

Separate instructions also explain how to sign your forms electronically so they can be submitted to us either by email to or by post.

Hard copies of the leaflet and forms can be obtained by writing to :

The Investigatory Powers Tribunal
PO Box 33220

or by telephoning 0207 035 3711.

The Tribunal will need to disclose personal details such as your address and date of birth to the organisation about whom you are complaining, so that searches may be conducted.

The Tribunal also requires your permission to disclose any further details that may aid the investigation of your complaint. You can give this permission by ticking the box on the form. You do not have to consent, but the Tribunal may not be able to conduct as thorough an investigation if you do not consent to these details being disclosed.

Please complete all requested personal details, then sign and date the form electronically, and check that the conduct you are complaining about relates to one (or more) of the things that the Tribunal can investigate.

Application Forms

Human Rights Claim Form (T1)

  1. Download T1 form
  2. Help on completing form T1
  3. Digital ID Instructions


Complaints Form (T2)

  1. Download T2 Form
  2. Help on completing T2
  3. Digital ID Instructions

The above claim and complaints forms are in Adobe's Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF) and can be completed, saved and returned to us via e-mail with a computer. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to read and complete the forms (available from the Adobe web site). Alternatively, you can complete the form by hand and post to: The Investigatory Powers Tribunal, PO Box 33220, London, SW1H 9ZQ.

In this section